Common Core Alignment:
Happy Freebie Friday! Reading CVC words is so much more fun when kids get to see the letters/words on Christmas trees and ornaments! I use this packet of short vowel CVC words to help my students practice their knowledge of saying each letter sound within a word.
My students use these words in a few different center activities:
1. Read the words to a partner or by yourself.
2. Partner Quiz- One student reads one word at a time to his partner. The partner writes each word on her iPad. (then switch roles) This is a great activity for both reading and writing practice plus it gives each child a chance to be the teacher, which they LOVE! I usually do this in either the ScreenChomp app or ShowMe app (check out previous posts about using ScreenChomp and ShowMe).
3. Read the words and then make up a sentence using the words.
4. Read the words and then make a list of words that rhyme with each word.
5. Read the words to the students and have each student identify the beginning, middle or end sound.
6. Cut out all the trees and have students sort the words by short vowel sound.
Grab your freebie by clicking the image below!