This week has been so wonderful- I love when we actually have spring weather here, and we did, all week!
My little friends have been busy learning to read– check it out!
1. I am so proud of my little readers– my 1st graders are FINALLY getting the hang of reading more challenging books without me having to assist them with a bunch of new words. That makes me really happy- and them too. One of my little 1st graders looked up at me after reading 2 pages in her book this week with a giant smile on her face and loudly said, “I did it!” Totally warmed my heart- so proud of those little readers!
2. I’ve been also trying to regularly add new sight word practice into our weekly routines since those Dolch Primer words are showing up a ton in our books. This week we had fun using the words in silly sentences. I let my little friends choose words from our pile and they come up with sentences using those words…very simple, but cracks them up and gets them to use more sight words!
3. For phonemic awareness this week, we used our bead bracelets. I say a word and then my friends pull beads along as they say each sound in the word. It’s another physical/visual reminder to match what they are saying.
4. I also did some Words Their Way assessing this week- I’m using this specifically with just one of my kindergarten groups who really need some more intensive word study practice.
5. Of course I had to break out our spring close reading passages seeing the weather actually felt so springy this week! I just love how engaged my little friends are in these lessons. The passages include a variety of fiction, non fiction and poetry and then different a focus for each passage and each of the 1st/2nd/3rd reads. If you are looking for more info on how I do close reading with my kindergartners and 1st graders, check out these posts here and here.
Pin any one of the close reading pics from above- leave a comment with a link to your pin & your email and I’ll send the winner a copy of my Spring Close Reading Pack Monday night!